Dunlop Graspic DS-3

Brand: Dunlop
Tire: Graspic DS-3
Category: Studless Ice & Snow
UTQG (treadwear): Not rated

The Dunlop Graspic DS-3 is a third generation winter tire that was developed for a wide size range to give drivers of coupes, sedans, minivans, and crossovers stable and consistent traction in adverse winter conditions. This tire utilizes Dunlop's in house Digital Rolling Simulation II technology and a premium tread compound...this is all to say that this is a very advanced tire. This tread compound is really cool, it's silica-based and glass fiber reinforced. It also have Miura-shaped sipes (think 3D zigzags) which stiffens the tread blocks to enhance steering feel. Similar to other winter tires, the first 55% of this tire has the advanced tread compound, with the remaining 45% being a standard winter tire compound.  The Graspic DS-3 tire meets the industry's severe snow service requirements and Dunlop recommends that you only install these tires in sets of four.

This tire falls outside the top five in my book in terms of studless ice and snow tires, and I might even slot it towards the bottom of the list. Not that it's a bad tire, it'll grip well in winter weather conditions, it just won't do it as well as some others on the market. That being said, you'll likely see around 45,000 miles out of a set before they need to be replaced. Most drivers have told me that this is one of the most cost effective winter tires, so you'll get a good deal for your money. I equate this tire to a good commuter tire, but just for winter snow and ice conditions. A lot of people have noted that these create a fairly comfortable ride, and that's likely from the less aggressive tire tread used on these, hence why they don't have as good of traction as other studless ice and snow tires.